Friday 4 January 2013

Changing Windows 7 Starter Desktop Background (04/01/2013)

What a boring background...
Now, ever since I purchased my Toshiba Netbook in early 2012 I have been frustrated by the fact that I cannot change the Desktop background. This is a feature I have always used a lot with earlier versions of Windows and it seems strange that Windows have now removed this feature.

Like most, actually researching and trying to solve this always fell to the bottom of my pile of things to do - but not today! Today I want to put a photo on my Desktop background and 'nothing gonna stop me'.

So I googled how to change the Desktop background and came across this helpful link which led me to two programs (a) Oceanis and (b) Personalization Panel ("PP").

I now have control!
Having read the descriptions, I went for (b). My choice was influenced by the fact that Oceanis has to stay open to operate (my Netbook is low on memory as it is) and PP seemed like a good add-on to the existing Control Panel options. Though I am not expert in this area so you need to make your own choice based on your own criteria!

When on the download page for PP be careful to click the GREY download button towards the bottom of the page and NOT the blue one towards the top (that is an advert and installs PDFCreator on your computer - easily removed via Control Panel if you make the same mistake as me!).

Once installed, you simply need to right click on Desktop and select 'Personalize' to get the option screen then the rest is up to you!

(screenshots taken with Hyperdesktop).

This is my blog, my attempt to document one new thing I have learnt everyday. We learn so much and it is easy to overlook just how much we do learn. Any of the products or websites mentioned in my blog are ones I have found useful. I have no link to these websites (unless otherwise stated) and do not receive any benefit from linking to them. I am not an expert in any of the products I mention so you will have to do your own research and reach your own conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment